Saturday, May 10, 2008

Northern California.......

I have been looking forward to this part of the trip from the very beginning. I left Oregon and took the Redwood Highway headed for Gold Bluffs Beach in the Redwood National Forest. I found out about this gem from my guidebook “ Let’s Go Road tripping USA.” The book has been great for the most part with the exception of a few duds, but that is to be expected. The drive was pleasant with interesting scenery and light traffic (the majority of my traveling in California will be on two lane roads, primarily CA 1). Getting to Gold Bluffs beach was a mini adventure in its self. I turned off CA 1 on to Davidson Rd., which went from asphalt to a single lane dirt road about a mile in. I meandered down this winding path through deep forest for about 4 miles. There were a couple of places that I wasn’t sure the Turtle would make it. Slow and Steady won the race and I emerged on this sliver of beach that was only about 200 yards wide nestled between the cliffs and the ocean. All I can say is WOW. You have to see the pictures can I cannot do it justice verbally. My campsite was literally on the beach. This site was an old mining camp back during the gold rush. What is the first thing I saw after getting settled in? An Elk grazing 50 feet in front of me (see pic) and then a couple of minutes later a whole herd of female elk come strolling down the beach. I wound up staying for two nights and all I did was walk on the beach and read. Definitely what I needed before I hit the hustle and bustle of San Francisco and LA. Major had a blast cruising up and down the beach. I don’t know what it is about snow and sand but they seem to bring out the puppy in him. The only disappointment was the lack of Redwoods in the area. I was hoping to do some hiking in the redwood groves. I left there Tuesday on my way to San Francisco and low and behold along the way there was this stretch of road called the “Avenue of the Giants.” It is a 32-mille road running parallel to the 101 that winds through the oldest redwood groves in Ca. My luck must be improving at least it was not snowing. I made a lunch stop along the way and took a hike through the “Founder’s Grove.” It was like stepping back in time to some primeval forest. I half expected Lancelot to come galloping down the trail behind me at any moment. These things are gianormous!!!! 400 feet tall, 12 feet in diameter, and 40 feet around. The temperature in the groves was at least 15 degrees cooler. The only other plant that seemed to thrive here are these great big ferns. Some of them were 6 feet tall. About 20 south was the cut off to CA 1. I had to cross two mountains and nearly got carsick getting there,but the views once I reached the coast were breathtaking. Imagine this 2-lane road hugging the coastline in some parts to being precariously perched 400 feet up on the mountainside in others with only a flimsy guardrail between you and certain death. It was just awesome. 300 miles later I arrive at my campsite 30 mile outside of San Francisco and settled in for the night…..Later Brett

No comments: