Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Yellowstone Part Two......

It was another cold snow covered night in the turtle. I had all intentions of going to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone today but the road was closed (yeah it snowed that much). So I went to Mammoth Hot Springs instead. It turned out to be a good day for pictures. I got some ethereal shots and some interesting shots where the snow and hot springs meet. I wondered around the springs for a couple of hours.
Friday the roads weren't much better I had to wait about 2 hours for them to open the roads. I finally made it to the "Grand Canyon" around 2pm. I was spectacular. They only had 2 trails open but both of them had spectacular views. The first one was of the canyon and the second was of the lower falls. They were breathtaking. Especially because you stand on the edge of the cliff looking down with only a 3 ft tall rock wall between you and the abyss........The Norris Geyser field was on the way back to camp and I had time to kill so I stopped by. Steamboat Geyser is there and it only erupts every 4 or 5 years......when I got there it was shooting water 10ft in the air which is one of the precursors to an eruption. I hung around for 45 minutes waiting to see if it would go off. It was just teasing me...but I did meet a fellow traveler named Buck from Wisconsin. He was staying at the same campground so I invited him to have dinner. He show up with some really good beer and 2 different kinds of cheese (he is from Wisconsin)...We shared and nice meal and it was nice to have some conversation with someone besides Major......I had one more day to kill and then I took off for Seattle on Sunday......I was glad to be heading to a warmer area.

Later,

Brett

No comments: